- Second largest country in Western Europe behind France.
- Second most mountainous behind Switzerland.
- Most of Spain was under Muslim domination from 711 to the mid 11th century. The full peninsula was not reconquered by the Christian powers until 1492.
- The Spanish Inquisition, which aimed at converting non-Christians to Christian Catholicism, started in 1478, and was not abolished until 1834.
- Spain did not participate in either the First or Second World War.
- Spain endured a bitter civil war between 1936 and 1939 which Nationalists led by Francisco Franco won. During the resulting Franco regime (1936-1975) Spain was not unlike fundamentalist Islamic countries in its treatment of women.
Ronda is a mountain top city set either side of a deep gorge which is bridged by the amazing Puento Nuevo (New Bridge) which was constructed from 1751-1793. The city is an amazing array of old and steep cobbled streets leading you through a maze of shops, restaurants, castle, cathedrals, churches and palace. It’s a wonderfully charming old Spanish town with amazing views across the mountain tops.
Before long the weekend was over and Nanny and Grandad were moving on to their next stop in Nerja, where we would meet them for a day on the beach, lunch and a walk around the old town.
Adios for now.