- Second largest country in Western Europe behind France.
- Second most mountainous behind Switzerland.
- Most of Spain was under Muslim domination from 711 to the mid 11th century. The full peninsula was not reconquered by the Christian powers until 1492.
- The Spanish Inquisition, which aimed at converting non-Christians to Christian Catholicism, started in 1478, and was not abolished until 1834.
- Spain did not participate in either the First or Second World War.
- Spain endured a bitter civil war between 1936 and 1939 which Nationalists led by Francisco Franco won. During the resulting Franco regime (1936-1975) Spain was not unlike fundamentalist Islamic countries in its treatment of women.
Ronda is a mountain top city set either side of a deep gorge which is bridged by the amazing Puento Nuevo (New Bridge) which was constructed from 1751-1793. The city is an amazing array of old and steep cobbled streets leading you through a maze of shops, restaurants, castle, cathedrals, churches and palace. It’s a wonderfully charming old Spanish town with amazing views across the mountain tops.